Visit Our Sponsors
A new era in Canadian politics featuring the country's first stable majority government in seven years will boost Canada's economic recovery, if the country gets down to business, according to Canadian Manufacturers & Exporters (CME).
"I congratulate Stephen Harper and his team on forming a majority government," said Jayson Myers, CME President & CEO. "As Canada's leading trade and industry association, we look forward to working with all members of his new government on the biggest issue facing Canada today - ensuring continued economic growth.
"Policies, not politics, must be the focus of the 41st Parliament. The first order of business must be to develop a long-term strategy for sustaining the economic recovery and driving investment and job creation in Canada.
"We need our federal politicians to get back to the business of manufacturing Canada's economic future and it begins with the Harper government re-introducing the federal budget it tabled in April," added Myers. "That must be followed by a long-term vision for a Canada that builds on our natural strengths - our resources, the skills of Canadians, our innovation potential - to grow our world-class, value-added manufacturing and exporting industries."
CME has developed an eight-point plan reflecting the priorities for the next Parliament that will ensure Canada's economic recovery is sustained. It calls on the new government to:
1. Lower taxes on those businesses that are investing in new products, new technologies, and the skills of their employees.
2. Extend the two-year, straight-line depreciation for investments in manufacturing and processing machinery and equipment.
3. Encourage innovation and the commercialization of new products and technologies.
4. Help businesses develop and take advantage of international opportunities.
5. Enhance the competitiveness of North America's integrated supply chains.
6. Improve the quality and availability of skilled workers.
7. Strengthen Canada's energy and logistics infrastructure.
8. Improve regulatory efficiency.
Download a full copy of the plan at www.cme-mec.ca.
Source: Canadian Manufacturers & Exporters
Enjoy curated articles directly to your inbox.