Forbes worked with research firm Statista to compile the definitive list of the best employers for diversity in America. Statista surveyed 30,000 U.S. employees in August 2017 to inform the list, asking questions about diversity, gender, ethnicity, sexual orientation, age and disability. Responses among underrepresented ethnic minorities, women and people aged 50 and older received greater weight in the ranking.
Other factors Statista incorporated were the gender split of companies’ management teams and boards, and whether a company proactively communicates about diversity. It also looked at the gap in diversity perceptions at a given organization. For example, if women, older employees and underrepresented minorities rated an employer poorly on diversity, but everyone else rated it highly, Statista considered that a negative indicator and adjusted the score downward. Only companies with 1,000 or more workers were eligible to qualify for the list.
1. Northern Trust, banking and financial services in Chicago, Illinois
2. Smithsonian Institution, travel and leisure in Washington, District of Columbia
3. Levy, restaurants in Chicago, Illinois
4. Intuit, IT, internet, software and services in Mountain View, California
5. Harvard University, education in Cambridge, Massachusetts
Timely, incisive articles delivered directly to your inbox.